Clayton Stevenson Memorial Chapel, established in 2003
The Clayton Memorial Chapel of Wolf Point was founded in 1916 by Lyman M. Clayton, Sr. By 1939, Lyman’s son, Lyman M. Clayton, Jr., was a passionate and deeply committed employee of Clayton Memorial Chapel. Realizing that his son was a primary factor in building the sterling reputation of the funeral home, Lyman bestowed a full partnership on a grateful Lyman Junior.
Word of Clayton Memorial Chapel’s commitment to serving the needs of families spread to the surrounding communities, and despite the need for travel, distant families were using Clayton Memorial Chapel to attend the their loved one’s final care and services. Realizing that the extra travel represented a burden to families at a very difficult time, in 1941 the Claytons made the decision to purchase the Walker Funeral Home in Poplar. After selling his funeral home to the Claytons, J. Harry Walker continued to manage the Poplar facility – using the philosophy and principles of Clayton Memorial Chapel. In 1955 Mr. Clayton, Jr. built a new Poplar chapel and respectfully dedicated it to his late father and Mr. Walker.
In 1945, Lyman, Sr. passed away and Lyman Jr. became sole owner of Clayton Memorial Chapel.
In 1957, Lyman Clayton Jr. purchased the John Listerud property and home, which was built in 1917. He completely remodeled the building and dedicated it to his parents. A new chapel and additional facilities were built at that location in 1967, thus beginning the second 50 years of funeral service by the Clayton family in Roosevelt County and Wolf Point.
Also in 1967, Mr. Clayton opened a new visitation chapel in Circle. He also opened another facility in Culbertson, with Mr. Everson, a funeral director in Williston, ND.
In time, Mr. Clayton was joined in the business by his son, Lyman M. “Skip” Clayton III, who purchased the business from him in 1983 and became the third generation of Claytons serving the community.
In early 2000, Skip Clayton needed to sell Clayton Memorial Chapel. But he wanted to make sure that his family’s legacy of community service was not lost, or even lessened. His search for the proper buyer began. Finally, in May of 2003, Skip found someone who could purchase Clayton Memorial Chapel – and maintain its high standards for service and care: Stevenson & Sons Funeral Homes of Miles City, Montana.
The Stevenson family has three generations and over half a century of funeral service experience. Their family and their funeral homes enjoy the same sterling reputation as was earned by the Claytons.
The Clayton Memorial Chapel was renamed The Clayton Stevenson Memorial Chapel, thus respecting and preserving the legacy of the Clayton family, while continuing to spread the Stevenson tradition of exceptional service and dedication.
It is our privilege and purpose to serve you.